Thursday, February 25, 2010

FCHS

Do we ever really get over high school? It’s been almost 15 years since I graduated and things that happened in those 4 years still haunt me. I can remember the first time a boy ever crushed me by referring to me as a little sister and then dating a good friend younger than me, the first time my best girlfriend ripped me a new one for daring to have friendships outside our inner circle, the drum cadence from Friday night football games still plays in my ears, embarrassment still surfaces from the time a guy friend rejected me as a prom date and I ended up going solo with the girls, and this all feels like it happened yesterday. I can still feel the heart ache of wanting a guy to like me so badly and I’ve been married for over five years now. I still get a happy feeling in my heart playing over again a male classmate telling me I had pretty eyes, the first compliment I ever received from a non family member. I recall being paralyzed with fear because I had to do a class presentation, the same fear that appeared when I had to take any math final. It’s so strange how those few years can shape the person you are going to be. It instills the fears you’ll carry with you forever. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Bigger and better things have happened to me, but high school still floats right below the surface. So, why is it? Why don’t we ever get over high school?

No comments:

Post a Comment